Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

How much charcoal should I give my dog who weighs approx 35

Customer Question
lbs. it's an unknown poison...
How much charcoal should I give my dog who weighs approx 35 lbs. it's an unknown poison
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/4/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. I am sorry the expert you requested is not available. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

1- What are the symptoms that your dog is showing?

2- How long has this been going on?

Can't walk,very dehydrated and urinating on herself. Unsure of exact duration as I was at work all day

1- Is she alert and responsive?

2- Is she drinking?

3- What happens if you stand her up?

Somewhat alert,she drinks but vomits it back up and she is unable to really walk. She tries but doesn't have control

Friend, in response to your question the dose for activated charcoal would be 1-2 g/kg every 4-8 hours. As you can see, this is a very large amount of charcoal to give at home. You see, in the clinic what we do is pass a tube to her stomach to give the charcoal and prevent the charcoal from going into her lungs. The fact that she is vomiting and has loss of motor function I am concern that she may inhale the charcoal into her lungs creating a bigger problem. So, my advise is to Not give the charcoal unless a veterinarian has passed a stomach tube. I would instead remove the food and water and start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours to control the vomiting. Finally, strongly recommend having her checked by ER veterinarian. If cost is a concern look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

I'm just following up on our conversation about Ruby. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian