Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My 8 1/2 yr old Rottweiler 128 lbs., is wanting to urinate

Customer Question

My 8 1/2 yr old Rottweiler 128 lbs., is wanting to urinate frequently. He appears to be having some discomfort and/or urgency. I have never seen him try to mark every bush with no result or only a little.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

1- How long has this been going on?

2- Any pre existing medical conditions?

3- Is he drinking more than usual?

4- Any blood in the urine?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Started today. Hip dysplasia. No. Not visible.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.

Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
n/v
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am going to take him to a vet here.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.

Give me a few minutes, I am typing your answer. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Friend, I am sorry for the delay; I had some technical problems at this end.
In response to your question, in a male dog with symptoms of increase frequency urinating can be caused by: A urinary tract infection, bladder stones, prostate disorders (infections, tumors, enlargement), etc. to name a few causes. To determine the exact underlying cause he will need a hands on examination, urinalysis and xrays as initial screening test. Treatment will be based on exam and test findings. This is not an emergency, it can wait to see your family veterinarian. If at any point he is unable to urinate, that would be an emergency as it suggest a possible stone block the outflow of urine in the urethra; he should be seen by ER vet in that case. For now, observe him follow up with family veterinarian.
Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!