Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

10 year old female pug. Significant weight loss in last 3

Customer Question
months. Last week won't eat...
10 year old female pug. Significant weight loss in last 3 months. Last week won't eat food. Only food out of hand and people food over the last two days. Drinks and pees like normal. Still has all excitable qualities except when food is involved. Made her eggs this morning and she devoured them. Thinking teeth....
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/5/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Significant weight loss over a period of 3 months at 10 years of age is a negative prognostic sign. While a painful mouth might be contributory, such pain that might cause that kind of weight loss and now inappetence is also likely to cause other symptoms of oral pain - drooling, tilting the head to one side when eating, and food dropping from the mouth, e.g. Degenerative conditions such as chronic hepatic or renal failure as well as neoplasia (cancer) should top my differential diagnosis list at her age and so I encourage your having her vet perform a thorough physical exam including a senior/geriatric diagnostic panel of blood and urine tests +/- imaging in the form of X-rays of her chest and ultrasound of her abdomen at your earliest convenience.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Hi Sheri,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Brooklyn. How is everything going?
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian