Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years of veterinary practice in small animal medicine
18324312

Why would my 7 year old shih tzu jump up an scurry very

Customer Question

Why would my 7 year old shih tzu jump up an scurry very quickly from lying down or sitting and then act very terrified? She does this continually all day and has been doing this for months.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 2 years ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Bob.

I'm sorry to read of your shih tzu's uncomfortable affliction. Any kind of unpleasant stimuli in her rear quarters could conceivably cause the behavior you've described. By far the most common cause of this behavior is impacted and/or infected anal glands. The anal glands are two small musk glands located at 4 o'clock and 8 o'clock in either side of the rectal opening. These can become impacted (stopped up) and swell causing itching and pain to become evident. A veterinarian can quickly check these glands for her, and usually open and drain them by applying firm pressure to the area surrounding the glands. Occasionally one or both of the glands is too solidly packed to clear in this way, and a period of hot soaking the area may need to be done to allow the material to be expressed out. Also, the contents of the anal glands can become infected, and an antibiotic should be dispensed to help control this problem.

Other possibilities could include arthritis, bowel disease, disk disease and inflammation in the area.

While some groomers are quite adept at performing the service of emptying the glands, the possible presence of one or more of the other conditions I've listed warrants having her veterinarian check this out for you and treating it appropriately. if you should have further questions, please let me know, i'll be happy to answer them for you.

Kind regards, *****