Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog has been having diarrhea since yesterday and is not

Customer Question

My dog has been having diarrhea since yesterday and is not able to control it. She is going in her crate and in the house when she has not done that. I have seen some red blood in a couple stools.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

1- How old is she?

2- Did she get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?

3- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She is 8 months. I don't know of anything that she might have eaten out of the ordinary. We do live on a lake and she does outside without anyone. The only other thing I noticed was she has been staying close by me and right before she had an episode she was panting a lot.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.

1- Any vomiting?

2- Is she lethargic?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No vomiting. She is not as playful but I wouldn't say lethargic.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.

Give me a few minutes while I type your answer. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.

Friend, when we see blood in the stool it is a sign of inflammation in the colon (large intestines). The diarrhea is a consequence of the inflammation. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: Dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, parasites, infections, or even part of a systemic disease to name a few causes.

I would recommend a hands on examination with family veterinarian and a stool analysis as initial screening test. In the meantime, this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. You see, stopping the diarrhea with medication can make things worst if this is related to an infection or ingestion of a foreign body. In addition, pepto bismol will make the bleeding worst.

2- No food or water for 8-12 hours, need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer small amount of water followed by a diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean her back into her regular diet. Keep her indoors in a cool room and no exercise when fasting.

3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacterias that help with regularity and inflammation. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter