Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog has had a cough that has been week or so and she is

Customer Question
Hi my dog has had...
Hi my dog has had a cough that has been for a week or so and she is coughing when she barks and early morning every day. I took her to the vet and she was given antibiotics and muscle relaxer for her throat. I don't see no improvement it has been since Saturday that she ha been drinking this. She had an operation 2 months ago removing her uterus from an infection she had of not mating with a male dog. She also HS 2 X-rays of her throat n chest. She has a slight enlarged heart. The dog said not to worry. I am concerned because she continues with this situation. We give her a little bits of recola n eventually it stops. I need a solution.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/4/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
How old is she?
Is it a harsh or soft cough? Does she retch or vomit afterwards?
Does her cough seem triggered by excitement?
Does she have a heart murmur?
Did the vet mention if her lungs had any fluid or if her trachea was being pushed up by the heart?
Sihe is 9 yrs old she will be turning 10 yrs old this month(August)
She coughs when she barks or early morning at 2am or 4am and i give her a little bit of cough drop because i dont know what to do with her
She does not have a heart murmur. No fluid. But yes he said that the heart was pushing the trachea
She is on antibotics and this medication called prednisolone 5 mg twice a day for three day then once a day for 3 days 1/2 tablet every other day
Thank you,
Now if she coughs after barking, this suggests a throat based issue as opposed to a lung or heart issue. Still if that heart was a bit enlarged and is pressing up on her trachea, then it could be causing her cough and needs to be addressed.
Otherwise just to note, when seeing a small breed down coughing after barking does raise concerns of possible tracheal collapse. Though as this is often a birth based issue (since these breeds tend to have softer cartilage rings in the trachea then is ideal), we would assume that this is more prominent for her because of inflammation in the throat. Therefore, the Prednisolone is useful as an anti-inflammatory here to see if reducing the inflammation stops the cough for her. But do note that we need to give it a chance to work if she has only just started it.
Finally, we don't find cough drops very helpful in dogs since they tend to eat them whole. As well, some cough drops are actually dog toxic, so we need to be careful with what you give. Therefore, instead, you would be better to sooth her throat by giving her a tablespoon of honey+glycerin cough syrup or even plain honey. Alternatively use Robitussin DM but you must take care not to use one with cold medication added to it. It will take some label reading, but do avoid any syrups with cold medications in (ie acetaminophen, paracetamol, ibuprofen or any human cold medications since many are toxic for dogs), you just want one to lubricate and soothe the throat. When using Robitussin DM, we tend to give 1 milligram per pound of their body weight every 8 hours. And these would all be better options for soothing her throat.
Overall, we do have a few concerns for her signs. As the cough sounds to be due to issues in the upper airway, she is on the right course of treatment. Still I would advise the above home care, but if she isn't settling then we need to consider that this could be secondary to the heart pressing on her trachea and she may need to have that heart issue addressed as well.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Thank you.
You are very welcome,
All the best to you both,
Dr. B.
Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
nekovet
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian