Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I think my dad fractured or sprained her back left leg she's

Customer Question

I think my dad fractured or sprained her back left leg she's a Great Dane English Mastiff mix and she can't get up I couldn't take her to the ER tonight and we have a prescription of Rimadyl should I be giving this to her or what would you suggest
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
As long as there is no bone protruding through the skin (which would be an emergency), you have done right to isolate her to restrict movement and to start the Rimadyl. Obviously we need to keep to Babie's previous dose and only give this every 24 hours (to avoid overdose). And I would just note that this is the best option pain relief-wise at home since human medications would not have been as strong and would have been potentially dangerous for her.
If this is just a sprain, we'd expect her to feel better in the next hour or so and hopefully walk on that leg. If she cannot do so or there is a obvious swelling or instability in relation to the bone in this leg; them we'd want her seen by her vet as soon as they are open. They can examine +/- xray to check for fractures. Depending on what is present, she just may need to rest or if there is a break then they can advise you on treatment (since the type of break dictates what we need to do to fix this for her).
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )