Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a 5-year old French Bulldog named Vinnie. About 45

Customer Question
Hello - I have a...
Hello - I have a 5-year old French Bulldog named Vinnie. About 45 minutes ago I noticed what I'm certain was a long human hair in my dogs right eye. Not wanting to alter the tear film in his eye by using too much saline (he's had a lot of eye issues and
I rinse his eyes with saline most every morning), I gave him a dose of artificial tears instead (i-Med i-Drop Vet Gel) in hopes it would rinse the hair out of the eye. It remained in the eye for a few minutes until I put him down and he shook his whole body
like he had just gotten out of the bath. I looked at the eye after he did that and it was gone. I thought maybe it had just moved temporarily, but I've been checking his eye under really good light about every 10-minutes to see if it returns and it hasn't.
It appears to be completely gone. It didn't come out of the eye through the bot***** *****d or the corner, as I would have seen it. Is it wishful thinking to assume that the hair could have flown out of his eye when he shook his body after I have him the tears?
Is it possible that the hair could have gone behind his eyeball and is stuck behind his eye? His eye is wide open and he's playing with his toys like normal. It is not red and it does not seem to be bothering him at all. Can you help?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/4/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian

Hello.

It is not anatomically possible for the hair to go around to the back of the eyeball. The conjunctiva forms a barrier around the eye so that cannot happen. It probably came out when he shook his head. If it happens again, you can flush the eye really well with saline. That is what I typically do when there is a foreign body on the cornea. One good flush won't throw off his tear production. It'll rinse out the thicker oil tears, but he'll replenish them within a few hours.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Great. So if I can't see the hair in his eye at this point then chances are it's worked its way out and I shouldn't have anything to be worried about? Could it be stuck underneath his 3rd eyelid?
If it was still in his eye somewhere, how long until it causes a problem? I'm assuming the eye would start to become irritated and start to produce discharge? How long would that take to manifest?

Yeah, if you can't see it, it's probably gone. It could go under the third eyelid, but those dogs are rubbing and scratching at the eye quite a bit. It's irritating to have something under there. Those signs would be pretty much instantaneous.

Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian