Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My dachshound/queensland healer mix rear legs went out on

Customer Question

Hi, my dachshound/queensland healer mix rear legs went out on her this morning. She is not feeling anythnig, I read your previous answer on this and I got out a stethoscope and while listening to hear heartbeat I squeezed her toes, she did not move at all and no increased heart rate. I am looking into a doggie wheelchair for her now
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

I'm sorry to hear about your dog. It does sound like this is a disc herniation given her age and signs. If you want to give her a chance at walking again, I would go see a veterinary neurologist and consider surgical decompression of the spine. Even with loss of pain sensation, we can still get them to surgery and have a good outcome in > 50% of dogs. It's very expensive, but it's also quite effective when we get them to surgery within 24 hours of losing function.

If a neurology consult and surgery is not an option, then I would start looking into dog wheelchairs. These dogs are a lot of maintenance. You have to pick up stool that just falls out. You also have to empty the bladder 2-4 times daily. The chairs are also fairly expensive. It is an option, though, with a dedicated owner.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.