Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My dog has been ill than one week and has seen the vet 3

Customer Question

My dog has been ill for more than one week and has seen the vet 3 times-temp diarrhea vomited bile
slightly elevated liver enzymes and fluid in her abdomen for 2 days
treated with flagyl and Pepcid
tonight she bit my hand for no reason and broke the skin how great is the risk to me
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I'm sorry to hear about your dog.

The only communicable disease of worry, is Rabies. As long as she is rabies vaccinated, you should be fine there. There is a lot of bacteria in the mouth of a dog, so I would definitely recommend seeing a physician and getting on antibiotics.

In regards ***** ***** liver disease, I would get the liver biopsied if you can. A tru-cut biopsy needle can be used to get a sample of the liver. It's sent to a lab to have a pathologist evaluate it. That lets you know if it's liver cancer, hepatitis or some type of auto-immune liver disease. There are many possible causes here. Many of them can be treated and cured with appropriate care. Metronidazole (Flagyl) is my go to antibiotic for most liver diseases. I also typically add Clavamox to cover the spectrum of bacterial causes.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.