Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

I have a 2 year old English bulldog. He is quite active and

Customer Question

Hello! I have a 2 year old English bulldog. He is quite active and plays, eats well, drinks, pees and poops. However at night, he pants, stands in one spot, and won't go to sleep til later.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr B replied 2 years ago.

Hi this is Dr B and I would be happy to help you with this. There are many things that could potentially cause this behavior but in a young dog like you have the most common cause would be anxiety. I would recommend before having him take drugs potentially for that let's try a more natural approach first. Start giving him 3 mg of melatonin at least 1 hour before bed. If this does not work, then increase up to 6 mg. Do not exceed 6 mg. More than likely the 3 mg will work for him. If this approach does not work then I would recommend that you take him to your veterinarian to make sure he does not have a medical condition causing his behavior. I hope this helps you and him! Sincerely, ***** ***** you have questions you can leave them here and ifI don't get back with you tonight I will by tomorrow night.

Expert:  Dr B replied 2 years ago.
HI this is Dr B checking back in with you to see if you have further questions or concerns. Also please tell me what you mean exactly by he acts like he has a cold. Rather than interpreting signs it helps me if you just describe what you are seeing.....for example, he has a nasal discharge or his nose runs.....I will check back with you tonight.
Sincerely, DRB
Expert:  Dr B replied 2 years ago.
Please let me know if you need further help. I check my computer each night and would be happy to answer any follow up questions. Sincerely, DRB