Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

My English bulldog has two red areas on the Side of s face.

Customer Question

My English bulldog has two red areas on the Side of his face. Under his chin is raw and crusty. He is sleepy with a low appetite. Is this a bug bite or a skin thing?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 2 years ago.

Hi there,

Thank you for your question regarding your 6 year old English Bulldog boy Boo who has a couple of red lesions on his face. There are a few potential causes for these red areas including anything from grazes, to areas of dermatitis due to skin folds, to something else entirely like ringworm.

You are going to need to keep a very close eye on these red lesions for the next little while. If these appeared all of a sudden and have only been present for the last few hours, then along with his lethargy and low appetite, these could be caused by an allergy as you are suggesting. If this were the case, then your boy may respond to the Benadryl. I'm not sure how much you have given him, but the typical dose is 1mg per pound of body weight up to twice daily. You can read more about the use of Benadryl in dogs online here: http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl . If he is very sleepy/lethargic however, I would recommend getting him down to your local ER vet right now for assessment. You could apply a little neosporin to the red areas twice daily if there hasn't been any active bleeding.

Because potential causes for these areas include anything from mites, to infection, to ringworm, it would definitely be worth seeing your vet to follow up with some diagnostic tests if the red areas are still present in 12 - 24 hours time. This will ensure the right medications are prescribed depending on exactly what is going on here. I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated

If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Here is a picture of it
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 2 years ago.

Hi again,

Thanks for that. It definitely looks quite red and raw. If the area also looks swollen, and these red areas appeared only within a few hours, then an allergy is a definite possibility. Because the areas also look a little moist, these most likely are areas of dermatitis caused either by excessive scratching, or perhaps he even scraped his head along something (concrete?) to relieve an itch causing lesions like this - particularly if they are only on one side of his face.

You can gently bathe these areas with some warm salty water (1 teaspoon of salt per cup of luke warm water), gently dab dry, and then use a very small amount of neosporin on the areas 2 times daily. If there is no improvement within a day or two, then get him seen by your local vet to carry out further diagnostics on these areas of skin.

As per my previous message, if he is very lethargic now, definitely get him seen now if you can in case this is indeed an allergy - as he may need some steroid and antihistamine via injection.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 2 years ago.
Hi again,
I thought I would quickly check in to see how you are doing with your boy Boo. How is he doing at the moment?
It would be great to get an update when you get a chance.
Kind Regards,
Dr E
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
His face looks better almost gone. His nose and eyes are runny now. And he is panting a lot.
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 2 years ago.
Hi again,
Thanks for the update and I'm glad to hear his face is looking better. It sounds like he is now a little congested which could relate to some soft tissue swelling still. If he is constantly panting, then you need to get him checked by your local vet today if you can to ensure there isn't something else going on here.
It sounds like he is slowly improving however which is great to hear.
Thanks again for the update. If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!
Kind Regards,
Dr E
PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.