DrMelJ
DrMelJ, Veterinarian
Experience:  graduate of the University of MN College of Vet Med
24095035

My pup suddenly can't control her bladder and is lethargic.

Customer Question

My pup suddenly can't control her bladder and is lethargic. She's been house trained for a while now and hasn't gone #1 or #2 indoors in more than month. She's an indoor dog whenever we're home and has made 2 large accidents and little dribbles all over the house when she stands up since yesterday afternoon. Instead of her normal waking me up to take her out for a 6:30am walk she slept through the morning and even now at 9am she isn't playing with toys this morning and is just laying there. When I suggested the walk to her, she got up excitedly and we went out for a short trip around the block so she could do her business and she went pee then about 5 min after getting back into the house she peed in the house again. She's a active dog and goes to dogday care 5 days a week to exercise and socialize. Yesterday I took her to an outdoor baseball field with a bunch of friends and she spent a good 45 min chasing balls, I provided ice water at the time. Is she tired or sick?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 2 years ago.

Hi there. Thanks for the question. Let me see if I can help. It sounds like she might have a urunary tract infection. This is not uncommon in female dogs and causes frequent urination, sometimes lack of control of urunation and fever- leading to lethargy. It's not an emergency situation as long as she keep eating and drinking well but I would recommend getting her Tina vet mon or tues for a urinanalysis and proper treatment. In the meantime, take her outside frequently to try to minimize accidents. I hope this helps. Best wishes.