Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

My eestie last night suddenly started to have head tremors

Customer Question

My eestie last night suddenly started to have head tremors on 2 separate occasions. As soon as her name was said she stopped it. Could this be the start of white shaker syndrome?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 2 years ago.
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.
Great thought, and the answer is yes, this is possible to be white dog shaker syndrome (also called Idiopathic tremors, Little white shakers, Cerebellitis and White dog tremors). The cause of this condition is unknown. The tremors associated with this can range from a mild tremor of the head, trunk and limbs to a severe generalized shaking that is so severe it interferes with the dog’s ability to walk. The tremors tend to worsen with excitement and improve with rest and sleep. When a dog has the tremors he is generally alert, but could have concurrent difficulty coordinating the gait, a head tilt, and seizures.
Now this might not be this syndrome. Intermittent tremors can also be caused by pain (especially in the spine/neck or abdomen), a fever, or even focal seizures. Diagnosis of this can be tough. Usually we have to rule out all other issues and then if this progresses with her to have the classic signs I noted above, then we diagnose this. A CSF or spinal tap done by a neurologist can be very use test.
There is treatment, should this be shaker dog syndrome (either prednisolone and/or diazepam) which are prescription medications.
I highly recommend a visit to see her veterinarian, if they persist. IF they do not recur, then just monitor Skye.
I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting.
I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.
Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.
My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.
If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 2 years ago.
Hi Judith,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Skye. How is everything going?
Dr. Joey