Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

What to do if dog swallows chicken wing bone?

Customer Question
what to do if dog swallows chicken wing bone?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/1/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Sally G., Dog Training Consultant replied 2 years ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you.

When did this happen and do you know if the dog chewed it up or swallowed it whole?

Was it a cooked bone?

it was a cooked bone happened yesterday she swallowed it whole.
If it were caught earlier you could have gone to a vet and they may have tried to retrieve it via a scope. But since some time has passed
then the below is the action to take.
When a dog eats something sharp such as a cooked chicken bone, it is suggested you give a few slices of whole grain bread, this will surround the bone and help carry it through the intestines. Pure canned pumpkin will do the same. If the bone was cooked there is more likely to be sharp fragments. If the dog is able to swallow the bread and eat normally then from that point we watch for a blockage from the bone. If the dog has trouble eating anything or is swallowing a lot, have it seen by an ER vet as it may be blocking the wind pipe or esophagus.
With an obstruction you will see symptoms of sudden lack of appetite, vomiting, diarrhea and lethargy over the course of a couple of days.
You also have to worry about a fragment piercing the intestinal tract which would cause sepsis because bowel fluid would leak into the body. Check the gums daily as well as watch for symptoms above. If the gums are pale or white the dog is sick and needs vet care asap.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Bellalight. How is everything going?
DakotaSouthFive
Sally G.
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant