Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 33 pound cardigan welch corgi ate at least half of the

Customer Question

My 33 pound cardigan welch corgi ate at least half of the absorbent material from an adult depends. I induced vomiting with hydrogen peroxide but I don't know how long it had been since she ate it. She vomited and soon after drank some water and ate some pumpkin. It's been about 7-8 hours and she acted normal even begging to play. She's now in bed for the night and sleeping comfortably Any advice?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:
What did she bring up in her vomit when you induced her?
Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?
If you press on her belly, does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Her vomit had some of the material she swallowed in it. I can 't be sure just how much she ate. It was mixed with some food and was white, but I had given her the peroxide in vanilla ice cream. It's 3:00 a.m. here and sj\he's sleeping soundly and comfortably. I had touched her abdomen and it seemed fine earlier. I'll check her gums when she wakes up.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you,
I am glad to hear that she did bring some back up and that would suggest that she likely had had it within the past 2 hours prior to vomiting (since it would have likely already been in the intestines and out of the reach of vomiting after that time).
Now as long as she is comfortable and those signs I asked about stay stable, then we can monitor her and use supportive care to pass this. Of course, any belly pain, pale gums, black stool, straining to pass stool, appetite loss, or vomiting; and that would raise concerns of blockages. And that would be our cue to have her vet palpate +/- xray her belly to see how much she has had, where it is, and whether it will pass on its own.
In regards ***** ***** care over the next 24 hours, you pumpkin is perfect. We often will use this mixed into a light diet to help push material of this nature through the GI. As for light diets we can offer, I would note that we can start her on cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled as we try to push the Depends material through. As well, to help this slip along you can also add cat hair ball treatment or a few milliliters of a GI lubricant (ie lactulose, food grade mineral oil, miralax, etc) to her meals as well.
Overall, if Hollyhock is comfortable and able to rest just now, those are all very positive here. Therefore, at this stage, we want to keep our eye on her for the next 24 hours while using the above to push this material through. As long as we don't see those red flag signs and we get this material passed, we are happy. Of course, if we did see any of those signs would be our cue for a check to make sure this material isn't causing a blockage that we need to address for her.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )