Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have an 8 month old spayed pot bellied pig. She is about

Customer Question

I have an 8 month old spayed pot bellied pig. She is about 80 lbs. She got into the dog food today. She has vomited twice but has drank water and eaten dinner and snacks. No fever. She is in her bed now as usual at this time. Her pee is clear and I'm not sure about bowel movements as she spends most of the day outside. Can I give her anything for the vomiting or should I wait and see if it happens again. I have zofran and phenergan for humans or I can get pepto or something like that. The first time was a small amount. The second was a lot. It looked and smelled like partially digested dog food.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:
Has she had any more vomiting?
Can she keep water down?
Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?
If you press on her belly, does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?
Has she had any diarrhea (if you aren't checking her stool, does her backside look messy from loose feces)?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She is keeping down water. She just ate her Mazuri pig food for breakfast with a peach. She woke me like normal 6am-7am. No messy backside. No diarrhea that I've seen. She just went out to pee and it is still clear, almost completely clear not yellow. She pees about a gallon. Gums seem moist. You can hear her belly gurgle.
She lets me rub her belly and she rolls over. No tightness. No distentention. No heavy breathing. I'm hoping she just got overheated and too much food. She has a plastic pool filled with water to cool down and and a 12 x 24 shed with a porch to go in and under during the day. It has a fan inside. She is outside 7am-6pm most days. She has fresh drinking water and a dirt pool. It was 92 degrees yesterday.She has been slightly limping for a few days like she sprained her knee. I gave her some Childrens Tylenol. 1 tsp QD x 4 d. I will get some baby ASA today since not better. We may need our vet to make a farm call. I think she slipped on her ramp. She lets me press and move her leg. No whimpering and no pulling it back. I don't think the 2 are related.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you,
Since this clear urine has continued, can you tell me if she is drinking more?
What is the milligrams of the Tylenol you have used?
How much does she weigh?
Did her clear urine start after this was given?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Her urine has always been clear like this. Not really that yellow. I gave her Tylenol 160/5mL . She weighs about 80lbs
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for clarifying.
First, I am glad to see that the urine situation is not a change for her. The reason is because while we do need to question why her urinary concentration is so poor, we wouldn't assume it is related to her current issues. So, we can put that aside for the moment, though it's be worth having her vet test a urine sample when they do see her (or if you choose to submit a sample to their office). Otherwise, I would just note that if you do want to switch from Tylenol to ASA, remember you need to give her at least 48 hours off both before switching.
Those all aside, I am glad to hear that she is eating and more settled, though the gurgly GI is highly suggestive of nausea still lurking here. In regards ***** ***** to approach this, I have to say that if we do not have diarrhea, then Pepto Bismol should be avoided as it could cause her constipation. As well, as there are limited studies on the safety and dosing range of oral Zofran on pigs, I would instead suggest treating her with an antacid like Zantac/ranitidine ( 1.5 milligram per kilogram of body weight every 12 hours) or Pepcid/Famotidine (2.5 milligrams per kilogram of her body weight every 12 hours). These can reduce nausea, help with the gurgling and also can help counter act any GI irritation or damage caused when using non-steroidal anti-inflammatories. So, this would be a better option with its know safety spectrum but also wider effects.
Overall, I agree that this situation is not likely to be related to the lameness. It sounds like her GI upset was secondary to over indulgence but if there is nausea remaining and she is on an anti-inflammatory for lameness, then the use of an antacid would be ideal here to try to reduce her nausea while protecting her stomach. And if that lameness doesn't settle, then we'd want to have her vet check this (to ensure she has not damaged a tendon, etc) but also consider having a urine sample checked as well.
Please take care,
Dr. B.