Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My two dogs have been eating grass past two days and then come in and vomit all th

Customer Question

My two dogs have been eating grass for the past two days and then come in and vomit all the other food they ate
We have a third dog visiting but he isn't eating grass and is fine.The beagle got sick first then the black and tan coon hound good of sick last night. What should we do?Also note that there is a construction project going on next door a nd the dogs got over there a a couple of days ago and the beagle came back covered with oil., but not the coo hound.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you. 1- How much do they weigh? 2- Any other symptoms?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Holly weight is 60 pounds Jake Is 35 pounds
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Friend, the fact that both dogs are sharing similar symptoms it is very likely they got into something. This is what you can do: 1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start them on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg for Holly and for Jake 1/2 of a 10mg tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give their gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Keep them indoors while fasting. 3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet. 4- If they continue to vomit or eating grass after doing the above they will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!Dr. Peter