DrMelJ
DrMelJ, Veterinarian
Experience:  graduate of the University of MN College of Vet Med
24095035

My dog became over hyper active, pacing,rapidlymoving from

Customer Question

My dog became over hyper active, pacing,rapidlymoving from side to side, and wont stop,after he bacme tangled in a lead line and was stragle at near death. What can we do? He wont stop. His heart is racing. He is panting. He wont drink or eat. What do we do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 2 years ago.
Hi there. Thanks for the question. I'm so sorry to hear that your dog was injured. If this JUST happened, give him a little time to settle. He is lie,lay highly stressed from the experience. Try to be reassuring and comforting but let him pace for a bit if he needs to. Continue to offer water and try wetting down some food or treats with water so they are soft. Or even offer a little people food like a little piece of bread or small amount of cottage cheese...like a tablespoon. If he seems out of it or not himself or begins seizuring or is stumbling and unable to control himself, he may have significant hypoxic injury from the strangulation and needs to get a to Vet immediately. If you can get him to eat a little bit, you can then give some pain meds...dog meds if you have them like rimadyl or metacam or previcox would be ideal but if you do not have those, you can give human buffered aspirin- one and half human baby buffered aspirin. If he is not eating or drinking by tomorrow morning, get him to the vet. I hope this helps. Let me know if you have further questions.