How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Altman Your Own Question
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 12824
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 18 years.
53976849
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Altman is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 14 lb chihuahua ate 6 of my 30 mg Armour thyroid tablets Is she okay

Customer Question

My 14 lb chihuahua ate 6 of my 30 mg Armour thyroid tablets Is she okay
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both todayPlease bear with me while I calculate the dosage and level of concern...30 mg x 6 tablets = 180 mg of the armour thyroid= 0.05 mg x 6 tablets= 0.3 mg. A dog dose is 0.022 mg/kg so for a 14 pound dog (6.4 kg) this is 0.14 mg. So in essence the total ingested is double what the advised dose is for a dog. In general, anything less than 0.2mg/kg should not cause any problems (and she ingested 0.044 mg/kg) because it has a high margin for safety...If your dog ingested this within the last hour then you can induce vomiting with 3% hydrogen peroxide 1 tsp per ten pounds(1 & 1/2 teaspoons) then walk around to mix it in the stomach and agitate the lining. If no vomiting within 10-15 minutes it can be repeated once only in hopes of inducing vomiting.If this has occurred more than an hour ago then monitoring for clinical signs of ingestion would be advised but still highly unlikely to be seen with her size and the quantity ingested on a one time basis. Signs to monitor for include increased activity and restlessness and if this is not subsiding quickly then I would advise a veterinary exam tonight to treat her symptoms. In severe cases Oxygen, artificial ventilation, cardiac glycosides, beta-blockers (e.g., propranolol), fluids, dextrose, and antipyretic agents have all been suggestedIn essence I would not expect any toxic issues from this ingestion but if you see any changes noted that are irregular for her then please have a veterinary er evaluate her and treat her symptomatically for her symptomsI hope this makes sense but please let me know if I can assist with any additional questions or concerns this evening If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 2 years ago.
I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier. How is your Chi doing today after the ingestion?
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!