Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

Dr pete, my boer boel discharge yellow from his penis..is

Customer Question

Hi dr pete, my boer boel discharge yellow from his penis..is it normal ?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb.
The expert who you requested isn't currently online and since I see your question hasn't been answered, I'd like to help if that's acceptable to you.
The discharge that you're seeing is called smegma and may reflect infection of the penile sheath although it doesn't necessarily have to. Because intact male dogs have more actively secreting glands inside the prepuce, the discharge is usually more pronounced in those dogs.
However, having said that, a small amount of smega is normal for any dog, regardless of age or even if they've been neutered or not.
Preputial discharges or smega can be secondary to other causes in older animals and an infection can be present if there's a large amount of it.
I don't typically treat with systemic antibiotics but I do recommend flushing the sheath with products such as antimicrobial solutions containing chlorhexidine. I'll suggest flushing twice a day for about 7-10 days.
In most cases, this will be sufficient to resolve the problem.
If it doesn't, then a thorough examination of the prepuce should be done with possibly a urinalysis to rule out a urinary tract infection.
I hope this helps although, again, my apologies for the delayed reply. Deb