Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog came in last night and just didn't seem right, now 10

Customer Question

My dog came in last night and just didn't seem right, now 10 hours later she will not get up and move on her own?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Was she gagging, retching, lip licking or dry heaving when you thought she was going to be sick?
Can she move her back legs on her own at all?
If you stand her up, can she stand?
Are her gums pink or pale/white?
Any belly tenderness if you press on her stomach?
Could she have eaten anything she should not have (ie bones, stones, socks, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She was dry heaving. She can move her back legs and actually me and my husband have gotten her up and she can move. She can stand on her own but prefers not to move. The problem seems to be in her back legs? Her gums are pink and her belly seems ok when I press on it. This started when she came in from outside, she just looked poopy. There are no chemicals socks or toys outside but she could of eaten anything. She is a chewer.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you,
I am glad to hear that she can move and has control over her back legs. This makes issues involving the spine or severe toxicities less likely. And instead her reluctance is more suggestive of a dog that is uncomfortable and thus trying to stay still to avoid causing herself more discomfort. As well, it is also good to hear they haven't any chance of eating something harmful and have normal non-painful or bloated stomachs.
Therefore, since her signs do suggest that we may have a GI upset. This could potentially be related to a GI bug (viral, bacterial, parasitic) or pancreatitis as opposed to eating anything harmful in Leddy's case. Therefore, at point you can consider trying her on an antacid to soothe her stomach and see if she settles. OTC options that we can use here include:
* Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/famotidine-pepcid/page1.aspx#.VGJLgsn9XPg) or
* Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/ranitidine-hcl-zantac/page1.aspx)
These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food (to allow absorption) and of course you want to double check with your vet if your wee one has a pre-existing condition or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.
Once this is on board, you can consider offering a light diet option. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). This can be fed as small, frequent meals (start with a spoonful and if she can keep it down for 30 minutes, give a bit more, and so on) and should help settle that stomach.
Overall, if she started with dry heaving but has none of those other issues that you checked for GI upset or pancreatitis would be our main concerns at this stage. Therefore, we'd want to use the above to see if we can settle her stomach for her. If she doesn't settle or did develop any of those signs, then we'd want to consider having a check with her vet. They can have a feel of her stomach to make sure there is nothing in there that she has not told us about, but also pinpoint the trigger for her signs. And depending on their findings, they can start her on antibiotics and anti-nausea medication by injection to settle her and get her back to feeling like herself.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Leddy. How is everything going?

nekovet