Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My 18 month old 14 pound Malshipoo may have ingested 4 vitamin

Customer Question

My 18 month old 14 pound Malshipoo may have ingested 4 vitamin D capsules (2000 IU) in addition to 3 fish oil capsules. From what I'm reading online I'm not too worried about the fish oil, but some of the sites talk about vitamin D overdose and kidney failure. My normal vet is in Florida and I'm visiting family in rural Connecticut. Thank you!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I'm sorry to hear that your pup ingested some things he should not have.You are correct that a one time ingestion of high amounts of fish oil should not be a problem. You might see some loose stools, and maybe some nausea if he doesn't handle fish oils well, but no long term issues.The concern is more for vitamin D. There are different types, with different absorptions and ability to calcify tissues, and depending upon the type there would be more or less concern.Was this D-2 or was this D-3 (cholecalciferol)?Did he ingest 2,000 IU in total, or did he ingest 4 2,000 IU capsules (8,000 IU in total)?
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
While waiting for your response I did some calculations.Your pup is 14 pounds, which is 6.36kgs (2.2 pounds per kilogram)A toxic dose of D-3 is 0.5mg per kilogram of body weight or 3.2mgs for your pup (0.5mg/kg X 6.36kgs = 3.2mgs)2,000 IU = 50 micrograms = 0.05mgs (milligrams) of D-3. Even if he ate 8,000 IU he only ingested 0.2mgs of D-3, less than 1/10th of a toxic dose.Your pup should be fine, other than possibly some mild stomach upset.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm just checking in on your pup to make sure all is well and that you don't have any further questions. If you found my answer helpful please don't forget to rate my response so that I may be credited for my help, thank you, ***** *****