Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My dog sets around scratching himself most of the time and

Customer Question

my dog sets around scratching himself most of the time and i dont know what to do for him. I have tried red lake earth and that worked for a year and now he is scratching himself again what can i do for him?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 years ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.
From what you have told me, it appears that sweet Nuggetts is suffering from an allergic reaction that could be due to many things such as fleas, pollen , foods.
For now , follow these instructions:
Give Nuggetts Benadryl at 1 mg per pound every 12 hrs for 10 days.
Apply Betadine to the areas that appear red or irritated every 8 hrs. Clip away all the hair in this area. This is a skin infection called a pyoderma caused by the irritation. These can both be purchased at the pharmacy over the counter.
Bath weekly with Malaseb or Dermaplex which will remove the scabs or flakes. This can be purchased at the pet store or online.
If there is no response, then your vet will have to run tests on Nuggett such as skin scrapings and cultures to determine the cause and then they will treat according to these results. Since Nuggetts is a bit older, I would recommend a blood panel since there are other conditions that can cause this scratching.
Does that make sense to you?
Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****