How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Michael Salkin Your Own Question
Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 28495
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Michael Salkin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Our 7.5 pound Morkie (he is 2-1/2 years old) got into a box

Customer Question

Our 7.5 pound Morkie (he is 2-1/2 years old) got into a box of Tetley Decaffeinated classic black tea bags. One bag was completely destroyed and another torn open (appeared most of tea was still in bag). It's hard to tell how much tea he may have ingested, as there is a lot of loose tea on the floor. This happened sometime in the last 3 hours. What should we look for or do to mitigate any affects of the tea?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
Because the tea was decaffeinated, there's no reason for alarm. In itself, tea isn't toxic to dogs. Snickers might experience a bit of GI distress from ingesting such an unfamiliar "food" but intoxication isn't an issue. Theobromine - another stimulant - is present in tea but the amount needed to intoxicate Snickers is approximately one ounce of tea per pound of Snickers - 7.5 ounces of tea!
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Related Dog Veterinary Questions