Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I was interested in your advice on Vaginal licking. I have

Customer Question
a 14 year old very...
I was interested in your advice on Vaginal licking. I have a 14 year old very much loved dog who is attending a vet a the moment. it started with a hard cough and little appetite. she was diagnosed with tracheal infection and fluid on lungs. she has been put on antibiotics and diuretics and she has developed this constant vaginal licking which is very distressing for her and me. I am getting very liitle sleep with her as she is restless and appears to be leaking urine. the vet has started her on a heart tablet and one for incontinence. While she is eating better and her coughing isnt as frequent she is not herself and I feel so hlepless. she is having throat and chest xray on this wed but dont know if i should be looking for a referral to specialised vet practicse . its almost 3 wks now and no improvemenet in licking etc. she is on oointment for vaginal itching, but no good so far>>??
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/27/2015
Dog Veterinarian: petdrz, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response. I recently just logged onto the site and noted that your question hasn't yet been answered. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years’ experience and would be happy work with you if you are still needing assistance.
Can you tell me what the active ingredient in the ointment is?
Has any testing been done on the skin where she is licking? Skin cytology?
Are there lesions or redness in the area she is licking?
Is she still leaking urine?
Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.
Can you tell me what the active ingredient in the ointment is?- will check this
Has any testing been done on the skin where she is licking? Skin cytology? no skin testing only blood samples. bloods good with slight elevated white cell count indicative of infection hence course of antibiotics. Urine sample did not indicate infection etc
Are there lesions or redness in the area she is licking? vet check for lesions but found none. initially thought it might be reaction to antibiotics but think now it is leaking of urine that is causing it. she appears to be sllightly incontinent and leaks particualry at nite when the licking is most severe. getting blow up collar today to stop licking.
Is she still leaking urine? yes see above. notice creamy stuff on lip area after licking . she is having chest and throat ex- ray tomorrow.
just to let you know she is eating better now , funny she ate best off spoon. she is very fussy sometimes and if she feels there are tabs in food she will not eat so give these seperately. did not know if throat area sore and did not like to bend down to dish. she is a sensitive dog so its hard to tell . if she thinks you are leaving the house etc she doesnt eat until you come back or after walk. she is overall in better form with coughing only occasionally now and loves her walk. though she is not interested really in her ball now these days. the licking is the thing that is really getting me down and suffering from lack of sleep definitely.
Thank you for the reply. It is very possible that she may have developed a yeast infection in the skin folds around the vulva secondary to the licking and the leaking. This is very common and the skin may or may not show lesions, but can be very itchy. I would ask your vet to perform a skin cytology to look for yeast under the microscope. If yeast are identified, specific medications can be prescribed to take care of the yeast. Here is a link with more information. LINK HERE: I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you. Dr Z
Thank you for your prompt response. I will mention this to the vet tomorrow and get some answers. I will let you know the outcome. can the leaking be helped? is it best to use collar to prevent licking though I feel bad if it is that itchy???
one more question do you think the leaking is being caused by diurectics as it seems to have occurred since they have been prescribed??.
Yes, I understand about the hesitancy to use the collar to prevent licking if she is itchy, but the licking can lead to further trauma of the skin and even more itch. The goal would be to relieve the itch by identifying the cause. Even though wit would possibly lead to a potential short term increase in the licking, a short acting steroid injection may be able to break the itch cycle and offer some relief while getting things under control. You could try cool water and epsom salt soak to see if that may help until you see your vet, just make sure to thoroughly dry her skin folds when done.
As far as the leaking, it is probably partly due to the diuretic and a weakened urethral sphincter which doesn't allow her to hold her urine as well. The drug we commonly use to help that is one called Proin (or phenylpropanolamine). I would ask your vet about that.
ok thank you I will. she is on a steroid cream for itch but she seems to lick most after passing drops of urine at nite mostly. will keep you posted. would you recommend aloe vera gel to area ???
The aloe vera won't hurt, but she will probably lick that off as well. Hopefully your vet will be able to get to the bottom of it and be able to prescribe an appropriate medication to resolve it.
petdrz
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian