Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My puppy fell of the bed & hurt her back left leg I took her

Customer Question
to the vet immediately to...
My puppy fell of the bed & hurt her back left leg I took her to the vet immediately to see what had happened but they wanted to charge me 695 which I didn't have at the moment so they told me to rest it for 2 weeks & in 3 weeks to go back & check I'm afraid it could be a break & that it's not going to heal correctly or that it might cause her trouble in the far future for not getting treated correctly is there any way I can bandage it up to help the healing process she puts no weight on it & has been able to find a way to walk on 3 legs in order to play & walk around. She does seem to stretch it out when she sleeps stretches but she doesn't wake up crying so I don't know what it might be
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/27/2015
Dog Veterinarian: petdrz, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response. I recently just logged onto the site and noted that your question hasn't yet been answered. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years’ experience and would be happy work with you if you are still needing assistance.
Did they give you any idea of where they thought the potential injury might be in the leg?
Is she able to use the leg at all, but she just prefers not to?
Does anything on the leg look displaced?
Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.
They said it had nothing to do with her paw but the upper part it doesn't look like anything is swollen or broken I pull her leg down & touch it & she doesn't cry but it might be from the medicine but she doesn't put it down or anything they said it might be a green bone
Thank you for the reply.
It is correct that a greenstick fracture or a non-displaced fracture could occur and that would not be able to be identified without an xray. These are often left to heal without splinting or bandaging and are treated with strict rest.
More worrisome would be if there was a injury to the end of one of the long bones where the growth plate is. The growth plate is the part of the bone responsible for elongation of the bone. This would also not be visible without an xray. Injury could lead to a growth malfunction of the involved bone.
Unfortunately, without knowing the exact injury, it is best to go with the pain control and strict rest. Bandaging will not be helpful and could even make things worse if it put pressure or tension on the wrong place on the leg.
I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.
Dr Z
How would I know it's a brake though I don't want her to grow up with problems later on I want her to feel 100% she's only going to be 2 months shes a little red boston terrier
I am sorry to say that there is no way to know without an xray. If you don't have the funds to do it now, perhaps you could look for a clinic that offers care credit service. Many of them do.
Here is more information about that.
Care credit (veterinary): http://www.carecredit.com/vetmed/
I hope that helps.
Okay I'll find a way thank you for your help
You are most welcome. Please keep me updated as to how things progress.
Thank you I will
I am replying back just so that I can exit the question for now. There is no need to respond now as when you do, it calls me back to this post and prevents me from answering others until I respond to you. When you are ready to report the results from your visit, please return back here to do so and I will be alerted.
petdrz
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian