Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Dog appears to have dry nipples, lifting off . Is that normal?

Customer Question

Dog appears to have dry nipples, lifting off . Is that normal? Thought it could be a tick . But it's his nipples
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.
Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:
Is it just the skin peeling or is there a wound underneath being exposed?
Any other dry regions on his skin in this region?
Can you take a photo of this? If you can do so and post them online, this will let me see what you are seeing. To post them, you can either use the wee paper clip on the tool bar above your text box. Or if you cannot see that on your computer/phone, then you can post them on an alternative site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, imgur, etc) and paste the web link here for me to check.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not hurting ,not tick. They are on tick prevetion and heartworm pills
Have some allegies ,we live in the dersert
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you,
You are correct that neither of these are ticks. The first picture looks like discoloration potentially from hyperpigmentation (a darkening of the skin due to irritation) or a small focal trauma (where blood was trapped under the skin). Otherwise, the second one looks more like a skin tag which is an overgrowth of normal skin (like a wart) and doesn't tend to to require removal unless they are catching them on things and causing bleeding.
Overall, neither are worrisome here. We'd just want to monitor that he isn't catching the tag and that the discolored region doesn't become any larger; but generally speaking neither would be cause for alarm or considered worrying abnormal for your wee one.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Arnold. How is everything going?

nekovet