Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Why dog has slimy and bloody diarrhea with mucus when

Customer Question
Why dog has slimy...
Why dog has slimy and bloody diarrhea with mucus
when she is stressed
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/26/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.
I am so sorry to hear that Princess is having issues with diarrhea with blood and mucus
Unfortunately it is ideal to have a diagnosis with such severe symptoms of colonic inflammation but if this is absolutely not possible then the recommendation would be:
Possibly underlying causes include food allergy, inflammatory bowel disease to name a few), or even cancer then the gi tract will be more susceptible to giardia, bacterial overgrowth, clostridia, campylobacter which can result in further gi issues
So that leaves you with a few options
1.) Doing a food allergy trial. Surprisingly most food allergies are to the protein in diets not the grains so using a food that is specifically for this purpose, which is where the proteins are broken down beyond the point where the body recognizes the protein as beef, chicken, fish and monitor for improvement in signs. These prescription foods include: royal canin h/p (hydrolyzed protein), hill's z/d ultra
-During the food trial she cannot have anything besides these diets and this can be a two week trial. So no treats nor other foods. This is the best way to rule out food allergies
2.) Starting a probiotic from your veterinarian such as proviable which is a probiotic that has no meat based products in it.
3.) If there is no change after 1-2 weeks of the food allergy trial then talking to your vet about a trial of steroids since further diagnostics are not likely at this point. This would be treatment for issues such as inflammatory bowel disease or lymphoma to name a few
4.) Lastly, there is a blood test to ensure the pancreas is not part of the problem and this is a specific test called a tli, folate, cobalamin level that is sent to a lab in Texas to rule out this condition
I have a food allergy dog and this can be quite a challenging situation. She is on the royal canin h/p formula longterm and whenever she gets anything else she breaks with loose stools :(
I hope this information makes sense but please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns I can assist with!
If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian