Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 9yr old Aussie mix has developed some type of intense rash

Customer Question
on belly. Hundreds of small...
My 9yr old Aussie mix has developed some type of intense rash on belly. Hundreds of small bumps but only on belly. Also vomited bright yellow vomit. I have another dog a gsp who is also itchy but not as intense. She also vomited a little last night. That was clear water like. Both have been treated with advantex and I have seen no fleas. What might this be?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/26/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.
I am so sorry Myli is showing these signs! It sounds like she potentially ingested a bug or something she is having an allergic reaction to. I can give you some basic guidelines but if there is no improvement I would advise a veterinary exam tomorrow
For the rash:
- Make sure the benadryl dose is accurate at 1 mg/ pound. So if she is 60 pounds she should get 2 & 1/2 tablets every 6-8 hours
- Oatmeal based dog shampoo on the area every 12 hours with ten minute contact time and rinsing with cool water
- Moistened towel in the freezer applied to the area to reduce redness and provide relief
- You can use a cortisone cream as long as she is not licking the area (which we want to prevent that increases redness and introduces oral bacteria to the area) and if she is please remove the cream after ten minute to minimize absorption but also reduce risk of ingestion
For the vomiting:
1- Keep indoors to avoid eating grass/ leaves for 6-8 hours from last vomiting episode
2- Offer a small amount of water (1-2 teaspoons hourly) for a few hours in 6-8 hours to test her stomach
3- Start Pepcid (famotidine) 10mg 1 tablet every 12 hours OR prilosec (omeprazole) 20 mg 1 tablet daily for the next 3 days with the second administration of water (crushed if needed)
4-If no vomiting, offer small amount of white rice and boiled boneless or ground chicken or ground beef (bland yet bulking to the stool as well). For example, one tablespoon hourly for a few hours then slowly start to increase the amount while reducing the frequency. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.
5- If vomiting continues after doing the above, I would encourage having your family veterinarian perform an examination to determine the next step to getting Myli comfortable and what exactly the underlying cause is.
I hope this information is helpful but please let me know how else I can assist you both today. I hope she is feeling better soon!
If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Will a baking powder water paste help her
In my experience that will do nothing to help in this situation, no...
My other dog has also vomited once after drinking water late last night and she also has been itching her legs a bit. Do u think it's related?
It definitely could be related if they got into something together with one having more of a reaction than the other
And taking precautions with your other dog to minimize progression of signs is warranted
Thank you for your time. A vet apt will be made first thing in morning. On my way to purchase some Pepcid and rice. Thanks again
You are very welcome, good luck to getting them both comfortable today!
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about Myli. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian