Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Small dog, eating grass. Think something is lodged. She's hacking

Customer Question
, and shes not herself...
Small dog, eating grass. Think something is lodged. She's hacking , and shes not herself. She's breathing Ok. But it looks like it really is uncomfortable. Not eating or drinking
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/26/2015
Dog Veterinarian: DrMelJ, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
DrMelJ
DrMelJ, Veterinarian
Hi there. Thanks for the question. I'm sorry to hear Gracie isn't feeling well. It certainly sounds like she could have something upsetting her GI tract. Whether that is a foreign body stuck in her stomach or just that she ate too rich of food, is hard to tell. Could she have gotten into the trash or chewed up a toy? Does she get a lot of people food? In either case, if she is dry heaving and unable to even keep water down, it is a very serious situation and she needs to go to an emergency vet. A small dog can get dehydrated very quickly if not drinking water. If you can not get to avert try to encourage fluid intake. A small amount of human pedialyte is ok. Don't worry about food and don't let her keep eating grass. Get to a vet soon if dry heaving, hacking, discomfort do not resolve soon. Best of luck.
DrMelJ
DrMelJ
DrMelJ, Veterinarian