Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

The dog is 5. Daisy is not an avid eater but eats dry food

Customer Question

The dog is 5. Daisy is not an avid eater but eats dry food with some water on it. 1/3 C in morning and 1/3 cup at night. she was eating until one night ago. She has had really soft puddles of poop and drips. i tried new food last night which enticed her to eat about under 1/4 C and some water. Her nose is cold. She went 7 times on the dining room carpeting during the night. The vet to whom I take her are not in until Monday morning. What can I do in the line of giving her something to eat?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
If she is currently having loose stool, we'd want to offer Daisy a light or easily digestible diet at this point. Examples of what you can offer is cooked rice with boiled chicken, white fish, scrambled egg, or cottage cheese. Otherwise, there are some prescription diets that would could consider (ie Hills ID, Royal Canin Sensitivity Control or Gastrointestinal diet). The aim of these diets is that they are easy for her gut to digest and will reduce her diarrhea. Whichever you choose make sure to offer small meals to again aid digestion and reduce diarrhea.
Finally, since you reported no blood in her stools, you can consider trying her today on a dog safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure if her diarrhea is being caused by an infectious agent (ie bacteria will require antibiotics, parasites or protozoa will require anti-parasitic treatment, etc). Still it can slow the diarrhea to aid the body to absorb more water/nutrients then it would have if the diarrhea were unchecked. Furthermore, these treatments will coat the GI and could just settle the GI upset. In regards ***** ***** options for your wee one, the one we most commonly use in dogs is Kaolin/Kaopectate (http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p) or PeptoBismol (http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/bismuth-subsalicylate-pepto-bismol-kaopectate) available from your local pharmacy. Furthermore, Protexin Pro-Fiber or Propectalin (which is available OTC at vets, pet stores, or even online) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and the last few have the bonus of providing support to the delicate good bacteria of the GI. So, you can consider trying these as a short term means of trying to soothe her upset GI.
All the best,
Dr. B.