Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a 1 year old lurcher. She has been retching and

Customer Question
Hello, I have a 1...
Hello, I have a 1 year old lurcher. She has been retching and vomiting white foam for the last 7 hours (from 2am - it is now 9am). She's done it about 4-6 times. She isn't panting or pacing and is very lethargic. Should we worry?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/26/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry for the delay in response. If you would like to continue can you please answer a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- Can you give me an update on how she is doing? 2- Did she get into anything? 3- How much does she weigh? 4- Can you take a look at her gums and see if they are pink or pale?There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
She has been sick once since my query. I was more chunky and less foamy.
Did she get into anything? I don't understand.
She weighs 19-20 kg. She's a saluki-greyhound-collie (probably - she's a rescue) lurcher
Her gums are a pale pink - not sure any paler than normal.She has improved a little in the last few minutes - she is lifting her head and responding to noises more. Previously she wouldn't lift her head at all. She is still lethargic however and has not been downstairs to the toilet for 14 hours.
Friend, vomiting and lethargy can be caused by many different medical conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: Dietary indiscretion, pancreatitis, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, etc. to name a few causes. To determine the exact underlying cause she will need a hands on examination by family veterinarian, xrays and blood work as initial screening test. In the meantime, in any case of vomiting the first thing to do is give the stomach time to rest. This is what you can do:1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start her on Zantact 75mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Zantac over the counter in any pharmacy.2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest. 3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. 4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!Dr. Peter
Hi Lucy,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian