Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

My dog ate the crotch of an underwear yesterday and vomited

Customer Question

Hi my dog ate the crotch of an underwear yesterday and vomited four times today
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
Thank you for your question regarding your 5 year old Golden Retriever girl who has been vomiting today after eating the crotch from some underwear yesterday. There are a number of possible causes for your girl's vomiting, but the main concern here would be whether the ingested material could be causing a partial or complete blockage of your girl's stomach or intestines.
You will need to continue to keep a close eye on your girl over the next day or so. Hopefully the vomiting has settled now, however if not, and your girl isn't able to keep water down, then you are best to get her seen by your local ER vet now if you can. There is the real concern she could become quite badly dehydrated if she can't keep water down, and/or won't drink.
For now, please keep an eye on her mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows (do be careful that your girl doesn't try to bite you):
Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of her gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.
Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.
Respiratory Rate - if she seems to be panting or breathing rapidly throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.
With hold food until morning now, but as above - please encourage your girl to drink, and if she can't keep water down, get her seen tonight if you can. Here your vet can start your girl on some intravenous fluids, and xray or ultrasound scan her abdomen in order to rule out an obstruction caused by the material. Typically this material would pass through the GI tract of a large dog like your girl, unless it was a long piece she ingested, or unless the piece has caused an intusussception (telescoping of the bowel).
I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Kind Regards,
Dr E
Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated
If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Pet Doc