Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Our 7year old cavalier is constipated She hasn't eaten in two days. She normally ea

Customer Question
our 7year old cavalier is...
our 7year old cavalier is constipated
She hasn't eaten in two days.
She normally eats well and has regular movements. hard and she cried yesterday when having rock like stool.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/26/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Hi there,
Thank you for your question regarding your 7 year old Cavalier girl who seems constipated and who hasn't eaten in a couple of days now. There are a number of things that could be causing your girl's inappetance, however if she is obviously struggling to defecate and is only passing small, firm feces, then this is most likely due to the constipation as well.
Continue to keep your girl's fluids up, and you may want to make up a warm chicken broth for her to see if this helps to encourage her to drink. For this, just boil up some chicken, remove the solids, allow the liquid to cool down, then feed her some luke-warm broth. If your girl is constantly straining to defecate, but little or nothing is coming out, then I would recommend getting her down to your local vet now if you can to have them assist. Here they can apply a 'Micralax' if needed, which can help get things moving.
The best 'at home' remedy is to pop around a half teaspoon of cooking oil on some wet food twice a day for a few days. This helps coat the poop at her terminal colon to help them slide through more easily. Lactulose syrup works perfectly for this situation, however you will need a prescription from your Vet for this.
As above, if she is really struggling still now, then your vet will be able to apply some Micralax which would definitely help in this situation. Micralax is a suppository that needs to be inserted up the bottom, and it helps to break up the poop in the terminal colon and coats it allowing the dog to poop easily within 5 - 10 minutes.
As far as longer term management of this goes for your girl, you could discuss with your vet a higher fiber diet, the addition of psyllium husks and seeds to her current diet, or the addition of another food like mashed pumpkin in to her diet.
Finally, if she starts defecating as per normal again, but still isn't eating, make sure you get her seen within the next 12 hours or so, as there would likely be something else going on here if that is the case.
I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Kind Regards,
Dr E
Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated
If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.
Thank you. We took her into an emergency vet.
No problem at all. I hope all was ok and that they were able to get things moving for her.
Kiud Regards,
Dr E
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Pet Doc
Lucy has emergency surgery Sunday. She had swallowed an acorn which got embedded in her small intestine. She could have died.
Good on you for getting her seen so promptly. I hope she has a speedy recovery.
Thanks for the update,
Dr E
Pet Doc
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian