Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog started rubbing his L eye 5 days ago with increased

Customer Question
(more than usual) discharge and...
My dog started rubbing his L eye 5 days ago with increased (more than usual) discharge and injection and now his R eye started having problems today. I was wondering whether Opt Bacitracin or Erythromycin would be appropriate to try?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/26/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. While neither of those ophthalmics are likely to be harmful, neither are first-choices for ocular infections in dogs. In fact, ocular infections aren't common in dogs at all unless found secondary to corneal ulcers or foreign bodies. When both eyes are symptomatic, an allergic conjunctivitis is more likely but certainly not the only etiology for Buster's injection and discharge.
Because eyes can "go south" in a hurry, it's always best to have them checked by Buster's vet at your earliest convenience. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Buster. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian