Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My 13 yR.old poodle has pulled a toe loose from the 2nd didget.

Customer Question

my 13 yR.old poodle has pulled a toe loose from the 2nd didget. what are my alternatives. will it repair itself? if nothing is done what could happen? I am worried about putting here under anesthetic at her age. Also what would be a reasonable cost to repair. we are in a small town not large city. thank u
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 2 years ago.
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.Do you mean that she has a nail that has been torn from the nailbed? If so, this is a common problem. It will regrow and be perfectly fine, if this is the case. However, you may need for your vet to help remove the residual nail fragment. They act like a painful hangnail. If she truly broke her toe based on X-rays, then this is more complicated. Let me know if this is the case and if so how badly it is broken based on the films.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the toe we are talking about is the outside right toe. the xray shows no bone between the nail and the last knuckle and the nail. the nail is still attached to the foot.
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 2 years ago.
So it is a fracture. Generally with toe fractures we do conservative therapy and it will heal on its own. With the very distal phalange being fractured, I do not know if the nail will be stable long-term. Soft padded bandaging as done by your vet, or even splint placement, for a few weeks and repeat X-rays is probably the best course. However, some veterinarians elect no bandanging/splint and then see what happens. If she is strictly rested during that time, then this may work. Pain relief is necessary because these hurt.IF the nail is loose and bothers her at the time of repeat X-rays, then you may need to consider having the distal phalange amputated on that toe. But before I would jump to that I would see how it progresses in healing over a few weeks. Sometimes these will heal on their own without issue. Sometimes not. We generally do not surgically repair this part of the toe.