Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

What causes a puppies eyes to not open completely? If the eyes

Customer Question

What causes a puppies eyes to not open completely? If the eyes are open very little, what are the problems? We have been offered a 12 week Havanese (we have a 7 yr old Havanese from same breeder. Thanks
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:
Have they had any discharge or tearing with the eyes?
Any history of eye or respiratory infections?
Do the eyeballs appear small?
Can you take a photo of this pup's eyes? If you can do so and post them online, it will let me see what you are seeing. To post them, you can either use the paper clip on the tool bar. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web address here for me to have a peek.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry, but I am not able to attach a picture but you can see her on Navenahavanese.com. She is Chocolate and white and is the only puppy that is 3 months old. The breeder said that "her eyes never opened completely. Cornea looks strange from what she can see - it is not clear. The fact that she reacts to everything around her makes me think she can see something, she doesn't appear to be completely blind but that is just my feeling." We have a two story house if that makes a difference.
Thanks for any help you can give me.
Janet
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hi again Janet,
Unfortunately, the photo isn't very good for accessing her eye size and openness. Still, do you mean her cornea is hazy/cloudy or opaque?
Was there any history or current issues with eye discharge/infection?
Has this owner had any puppies die or issues with adenovirus (infectious hepatitis)?
Has she been vaccinated? Do you know what she was vaccinated with?