Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Our retriever/pit mix, name - Hank. 4 years old. Sudden

Customer Question

Our retriever/pit bull mix, name - Hank. 4 years old. Sudden illness. Vomiting. Constant gagging/gulping. Loose stool. Walking ok. Eating grass. Please advise.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you. 1- How long has this been going on? 2- Did he get into anything? 3- Any pre existing medical conditions? 4- How much does he weigh? 5- Is he lethargic?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
1. Last night after eating the same food as the other 3 dogs we have.
2. No.
3. No.
4. 75 lbs.
5. Somewhat lethargic.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hank is drinking ok.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Friend, eating grass is a common behavior when dogs are having gastrointestinal issues. Vomiting and loose stool can be caused by many different medical conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: Dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections or even part of a systemic disease, etc. to name a few causes. To determine the exact underlying cause he will need a hands on examination by family veterinarian, xrays and blood work as initial screening test. In any case of vomiting or diarrhea the first thing to do is give the stomach time to rest. This is what you can do until he is seen by family veterinarian:1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Keep him indoors in a cool room when fasting. 3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep him on this diet for several days then wean him into his regular diet. 4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!Dr. Peter
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Hank. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter