Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 3 year old Pomerian within the last 6 months has began night

Customer Question
terrors. If he is...
My 3 year old Pomerian within the last 6 months has began night terrors. If he is woke up he will come out biting, and takes him a few seconds to get out of it. He sleeps with me so I am concerned he is really going to hurt me. He has hurt my hands several times. Yes I put him on the floor and banned him from the bed, however he is not going for that. I have let him sleep in the bed beside me since he was a pup. Is there a med I can get for him.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/24/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian
Hello and thank you for asking your question. My name is***** will try to help.He may have REM behavior disorder (RBD). When a dog is asleep, they often dream. Usually the dreaming is just a mental activity. Dogs with REM behavior disorder act out their dreams. People, who sleep walk or sleep talk, have the same issue. REM Behavior Disorder (RBD) occurs during REM sleep. During this REM state, the electrical activity of the brain is similar to the electrical activity that occurs during waking. Most dogs remain still even when they are having active dreams. But, dogs with RBD lack this muscle paralysis, which permits them to act out dramatic and/or violent dreams during the REM stage of sleep. Sometimes they begin barking, twitching, and jerking during dreaming for years before they fully act out their REM dreams. Some dogs even bite their owners, accidentally, while acting out in the REM state. They do not know the cause of RBD. Animals who have suffered lesions in the brain stem have exhibited symptoms similar to RBD. Cats with lesions affecting the part of the brain stem that involves the inhibition of moving activity will have moving activity during REM sleep: they will arch their backs, hiss and bare their teeth for no reason, while their brain waves register normal REM sleep. Be careful when you wake him from sleep. There are medications, that can be given, to help prevent the RBD episodes from occurring. Clonazepam, potassium bromide, and phenobarbital can all be used. You will have to see a vet to get those. There are no over the counter medications that have been found to be helpful.Seizure activity is another possibility. If he is having a seizure, you will not be able to wake him out of the seizure until he is done with the seizure. He will not respond to any stimuli if having a seizure. He will also seem "out of it" before and after the seizure. It would be best to video tape an episode to show your vet. I hope this helps. If you have additional questions, please reply. If this was helpful please accept and rate my answer. Many Thanks
I'm just following up on our conversation about Bearit. How is everything going?
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian