Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog is limping from his back left leg. first

Customer Question

Hi
My dog is limping from his back left leg. For the first few days he had a noticeable limp when walking but he was still putting weight on it. Now we don't notice any limp while walking but if he lays down a certain way, not all the time, when he wakes up he doesn't put any weight on the leg for a few steps then back to normal. We have been limiting movement as much as possible but he is a very high energy puppy so this is tough to do.
Some background it seemed to start after an incident at the dog park so guessing it is an injury of some kind. Our Dog Is 9 Month Old. Any idea what this could be?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you. 1- How much does he weigh? 2- How many milligrams of aspirin were/are you giving and how often? 3- Is he still on aspirin?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He ways 35lbs. We are giving 200mg of gabapentin three times per day. He is still on the medication.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Is he on aspirin?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No sorry for the confusion, just the gabapentin which I understood to be aspirin like.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Give me a few minutes while I type your answer.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
No, gabapentin is not like aspirin; different mechanism of action. They both are pain killers but gabapentin is not an anti inflammatory. The history and symptoms you describe in your dog is consistent with a soft tissue (muscle, tendon or ligament) injury or a joint problem. I would recommend the following: 1- Continue on Gabapentin. 2- Request from family veterinarian a medication called rimadyl; this medicine is an anti inflammatory and will help if his symptoms are related to a soft tissue injury. 3- Rest him for the next 4-6 weeks; no running or jumping. Even if he doesn't experience any lameness after 1 week of resting continue to rest him. 4- If you see no improvement within 3-5 days of doing the above I would discuss with family veterinarian about doing xrays. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon! Dr. Peter