Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

How can I tell if a pup is stuck in pregnant dog? She had one pup last night at midnight.

Customer Question
How can I tell if...
How can I tell if a pup is stuck in pregnant dog?
She had one pup last night at midnight. 24 hours ago. She has been eating, running around etc but tonight seems agitated.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/24/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your girl has been in labor for 24 hours with one puppy being born yesterday and none born since.Has she had an ultrasound or radiographs so that you know how many puppies she has to deliver and whether they look small enough to pass through her pelvis easily? Some breeds are known to have puppies with large heads in comparison to the female's pelvis, thus are more likely to need a c-section.All of us like to help and give suggestions for things to try at home if we can, but in this case her condition is too critical to try and manage at home.She needs to see a veterinarian as soon as possible. This is too much time elapsed between starting labor and not seeing any more puppies. I don't like to see a dog actively push for more then 30 to 40 minutes without seeing a puppy, and there shouldn't be more than a couple hours at the most between puppies. The fact that she has delivered one puppy and 24 hours have elapsed without another being born is even more concerning.It may be that she has uterine inertia due to low blood levels of calcium or oxytocin and some injections can get her back on track if given within a limited time frame, we are getting close to the time period where she may not respond to those injections any more. Another possibility is that she has a puppy that is either too large or malpositioned to move through her birth canal, but those pups are usually actively pushing for a period of time and uncomfortable due to uterine contractions. She may need a caesarian section to save her life and her puppies.I do not recommend waiting any longer to have her examined. I understand that you will need to find an emergency clinic. Here is a link to help you find one if you aren't sure how to find one near you. Make sure to pick the Pet Emergency search:http://www.vetlocator.com/index.phpPlease let me know if you have any further questions.
Hi. SHe is not showing any signs of labor. She was acting very normal all day, but tonight she has ben very agitated, short tempered.
I suspect her agitation and short tempered behavior is because she is uncomfortable and feels poorly because she hasn't had her puppies. I suspect that she has reached the point now where she is suffering from uterine inertia.If her uterus isn't contracting then you won't see signs of active labor, but it is not normal to go this long between puppies. She needs hands on veterinary care.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian