Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

My dog has not eaten!! He went walk and had diarrhea

Customer Question

My dog has not eaten!! He went for his walk and had diarrhea pretty bad! What should i give him to help settle his stomach?? Also i live in las vegas and its been very hot!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 2 years ago.
Hello there. I am sorry to hear Bentley has such an upset tummy. I am happy to help you this evening. I would recommend limiting his exposure to the heat as much as possible. Just outside to go potty then back inside to the cool air. To settle his tummy you can give him pepto-bismol at a dose of 1 teaspoon per 15 lbs of body weight by mouth every 8 hours. This will help settle down his tummy and settle down the diarrhea. You can also offer him a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice or boiled beef and rice for a few days until the diarrhea resolves. The bland diet and the pepto-bismol will help settle down everything in his tummy and get him back to normal stools. If he continues to have diarrhea or if anything worsens such as vomiting or lethargy then have him seen by your vet to make sure nothing more is going on and to get some stronger medications to stop the diarrhea. I hope this helps and I hope this makes sense. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!