Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My four year old yorkie has no energy- sleeps most of day

Customer Question
my four year old yorkie has no energy- sleeps most of day
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/24/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your fellow Cocoa seems to lack energy and is sleeping most of the day.Is this something fairly new for him?Is he eating, drinking and eliminating normally?Any weight loss or gain?Any changes at home? New pets or loss of a friend? A move or different work hours?If you look at his gums and tongue are they a nice bubblegum pink color or are they very pale, blue or gray in color?Is he running a fever (rectal temperature greater than 103F)?Any limping or reluctance to climb stairs or jump?While it is normal for adult dogs to sleep quite a bit, he should still want to play and engage in activities and walks when it is time.Dogs that don't feel well or are in pain though tend to sleep more. Ideally your fellow should see his family veterinarian for an examination and some simple blood tests. I would be most concerned about heart disease, liver disease given his breed, or some sort of joint or back pain.If he seems to be drinking a lot of water diabetes is another possibility.If he has episodes of nausea and vomiting then Addison's disease (hypoadrenocorticism) would also be possible.Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian