Dr. Gene
Dr. Gene, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM degree from Ontario Veterinary College
20949193

Yes I have a pitbull that weighs 74 lbs. I want to neuter

Customer Question

Yes I have a pitbull that weighs 74 lbs. I want to neuter him, but I have read where people's dogs died the next day. I would definitely get presurgery bloodwork to see if my dog would do okay up under antistesia? I also heard if my dog is overweight that
could be a complication. Is 74 lbs overweight for my dog, and what other complications could happen with a boy dog if he passes the presurgery bloodwork?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 2 years ago.
Hi there!It's true that anesthetic-related death is a possibility and the risk is there with any procedure and any pet (or human). When a serious problem does happen, it's usually because some major underlying problem went undetected prior to surgery (such as heart disease), an obviously ill animal was anesthetized (which can happen with emergency surgeries) or if a problem that happens during the anesthetic procedure goes undetected and uncorrected (such as when the anesthetic process is not being monitored).Anesthetic related deaths are rare. When talking with your veterinarian about scheduling the procedure you should find out what the hospital does to minimize risk. Here is a link to what questions to consider: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=1607 If a dog is overweight, this could complicate things a bit, but it's really only the obese dogs that are under a greater risk; it's hard to say if 74lbs is overweight for your dog because it depends on Frost's body condition scoring which one can only determine by examination. A neuter procedure is relatively short (about 15-20min) and complications may arise during anesthesia that are related to the surgery itself, such as excessive bleeding, or to the anesthetic process (decreased blood pressure, heart rate, etc); serious complications are rare, however, and if the anesthetic team is monitoring for changes closely and is able to correct them before they become more serious, then there should not be any problems.Hope this helps!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How long does it take for a dog to heal after a neuter; he is a boy.
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry for such a long delay!! It takes about a day or so to recover and the incision heals within about a week. Normally, there are no complications and things heal very quickly!