Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinary Associate at Acres Mill Veterinary Clinic
87969507

I have a 5 year old Maltese mix I just noticed a red rash on

Customer Question

I have a 5 year old Maltese mix I just noticed a red rash on the right side of his of his butt he bites at it I put front line on him last week we live in a beach community n there is a lot of see grass n other plants that my dogs Luke to pee in they spray in my community for Mosquitos could it be that. Also his paws are dis colored whic my vet told me it a sign of aalergies
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 2 years ago.
Hello There, My name is***** I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I see that your dog Hudson is having problems with a rash and seems to be itchy. I will be happy to help you with any questions that you may have. Based on what you described, it sounds like Hudson may have skin allergies. Dogs can be allergic to things like fleas, things in the environment such as grass, pollen, or molds, and food. Since you put Frontline on your dog's allergies are less likely due to fleas though it can't still be ruled out. But it is likely he may be allergic to the grass he is being exposed to. The discoloration that you are seeing in the paws are from Hudson licking at his paws because they are itchy. The enzymes in the saliva cause Hudson's white fur to turn brownish -red. In order to confirm an allergy, a blood test and a skin prick test can be performed testing various environmental agents. As far as treatment, your veterinarian may decide to put Hudson on medications such as antihistamines or steroids. Anti itch shampoos may be prescribed as well. Sometimes antibiotics may be needed as allergies can sometimes cause skin infections. One newer medication you may want to ask your veterinarian about is called Apoquel. It helps greatly with allergies and has less side effects when compared with steroids. I hope I have provided you with the information that you were seeking. Let me know if you need any more information and I will be happy to help you.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Hudson. How is everything going?

Dwight Alleyne