Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Z only: We rescued a Papillion just two years ago.

Customer Question
For Dr. Z only: We...
For Dr. Z only: We rescued a Papillion just two years ago. Once we took him to the Vet we learned that he had two "Home Again" chips, from San Diego and Atlanta. We rescued him in Salem, Massachusetts. When we were introduced we handled him and introduced
him to our 8 year old puerto Rican rescue. They enjoyed each others company at the shelter, in a fenced yard, at at our home. A few day's later he became what I am calling "protective". He did not like us to have company and if someone approached us while
on a walk he would become agressive.He is aggressive toward other dogs, people, bicycles, and skate boards. We are just celebrating our second year together, he is better.... but not at all trustworthy. Recently he has started biting my wife at night, he has
not broken the skin, but she is not happy. He follows me everywhere I go, and has grown very attached to me as if I were his alpha. During the day he is great with my wife, it is like Dr Jeckle and Mr Hyde. My wife's cousin has known him since day one and
on day one he curled up in her lap. Since then it is another story, he is aggressive toward her all of the time, but again he has never broken skin... If I pick him up and tell him NO he will watch her but not approach her, unless I leave the room. We live
in a busy tourist town. Chuldren are alway's asking if they can pat him, I tell them he is from a "BAD" shelter and he is scared of people. Our other dog loves to be the center of attention. When he has had enough he licks the closest person from chin to nose.
That means he has had enough. My wife and I have fallen in love with him, we do not want to give up on him... But we need to know where to go to get him help... When we got the Papillion our vet told us he was 18 to 24 mo old and weighed 17 lbs If you have
any questions, Just ask.. Can you help us???
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/23/2015
Dog Veterinarian: petdrz, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response. I recently just logged onto the site and noted that your question hasn't yet been answered. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years’ experience and would be happy work with you if you are still needing assistance. I definitely think you need to seek professional help as an aggressive dog that bites can be a very dangerous situation. It is important to work with someone who has the expertise and training to spend the time working out the cause and to put a program into place to help him. This can take a long time and a lot of communication between doctor and family, but if done right can go a long way to help him adjust. I would advise that you work with a veterinary behaviorist versus a dog trainer as they will be able to prescribe any medications that may help in the training process. Based on your location, you are less than 2 hours from Tufts and the veterinary college there does have a behavior department with veterinarians on staff. Here is a link to their website: http://vet.tufts.edu/foster-hospital-small-animals/departments-and-services/behavior/" target="_blank">LINK HERE Also the American college of veterinary behaviorists has a website to help locate certified vet behavior docs around the country. Here is their website. http://www.dacvb.org/" target="_blank">LINK HERE Good luck. I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you. Read more: http://www.justanswer.com/pm/show_message.aspx?ID=1576784#ixzz3giuBd25J
petdrz
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian