Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My 8 mo min pinscher was sick 18 days ago with diarrhea, vomiting,

Customer Question

My 8 mo min pinscher was sick 18 days ago with diarrhea, vomiting, fever, blood in his rectum. He stayed at the vet for 2 days with fluids until they got fever and vomiting resolved. They gave him Iv fluids, steroids, and antibiotics. His xray showed possible small bones moving from small intestine into the colon. He was released after 2 days when blood was gone. They sent me home with antibiotic and probiotic for 2 weeks and chicken and rice 2x a day. He has been eating really actually too well. Because he refuses to drink water. I have been adding 2 ounces of water to his food and he is very hydrated his pee is clear. His poop was diarrhea after first from the meds and then it started to take a normal shape. Today he had diarrhea, but no fever, vomiting, or blood. He is not lethargic at all he seems very playful happy. When he was at the vet for 2 days he had blood work and it wa normal. Again he has been on plain chicken and rice. I am waiting until tomorrow to see if the diarrhea goes away. Could he have diarrhea because he is not eating his normal dog food. Advice please I spent too much money and I cannot afford another hospital bill
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a veterinarian for 15 years. I'm sorry to hear about Kaiser's previous illness that required the hospitalization. At this point, it doesn't sound like he's in a serious situation right now. It is good that he's not having any vomiting or blood in the stools. It is also great that he's seeming very playful and happy. Could he have the diarrhea because of eating something different? That is an absolute possibility. With young dogs especially, they could eat something "new" and it can cause brief bouts of loose stools. Sometimes this can be readily identified and other times not so easily. Could he have eaten some table scraps? Found something out of the garbage? Found something outside? Those are the questions to be asked. Could the diarrhea be due to intestinal parasites, giardia or coccidia? Those would be rule outs if the stools don't seem to be getting back to normal or if he starts to have other issues. At this point, it would be a very reasonable option to continue with the chicken and rice for a couple days and monitor the stools.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 years ago.