Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dogs pupils are different sizes. Ones does not seem light

Customer Question

My dogs pupils are different sizes. Ones does not seem light receptive. He did have an issue with his other eye a few days ago where is bottom eylid would not close. That has resolved, but the pupil issue started after his eylid went back to normal.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Elaine replied 2 years ago.
Hi there, this is Dr. Elaine, I'd like to ask a few questions to help me advise you better. Any reason to think he has gotten something in either eye (swimming, foxtail/grass awn, etc)? Is the pupil in the eye that seems abnormal large or small? Is the eye red? Is he squinting or does he seem to be irritated by it? Appetite/attitude okay? Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Appetite attitude is ok, they did a dye test in the other eye and it was normal. The eye is not red. The pupil is big, it is the opposite the eye the problem started in, he is taking prednisone 20mg x1 3 per day and neomycin and polymyxin b and sulfates and dexamethasone ophthalmic suspension usp X1 dose 3 per day. This is going into the eye that originally had the problem but the other eye is the issue now
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The other eye had an original issue with the bottom eyelid not closing, now the eye we are not medicating is large and much receptive to light if that clarifys things.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry, much less receptive to light
OK thanks. A dilated pupil can indicate several things. Some medications can cause this to happen--atropine is one, although it sounds like this has not been used in either eye at home or at the time of his examination. We use it to relieve pain in a "spastic" pupil and dilate the eye for examination of deeper structures behind the iris and lens. It is possible, too, that the "normal" eye's pupil just seems larger if the abnormal eye that you are treating has a smaller than normal ("miotic") pupil. Glaucoma is a condition in which pressure within the eye is abnormally increased. The pupil can become dilated and sluggish, and permanent vision loss can occur. Although acute onset glaucoma is often painful, it doesn't have to be, and each dog handles pain differently.See the following:http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=3543 There are conditions involving facial nerves (Horner's syndrome is one) that can cause pupils to be 2 different sizes. This could be what initially was affecting the eye you are treating, though usually takes weeks to resolve.Often this is temporary and self-limiting, and we aren't really sure what causes it.http://www.eyevet.ca/horner.html For sure he needs to be rechecked, not only to rule out a problem in the other eye that has not been medicated, but to ensure that the eye you are treating is in fact progressing as it should. Eyes are never anything to wait on. Kindly, Dr. Elaine
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, that's everything Google search told me, I'll get him rechecked
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I know the same amount I knew before, what I want to know is, what do I ask my vet to test him for, what probability wise is it, if it was your dog what would you do
If this were my pet I would restain both eyes. I would also check the IOPs (intraoccular pressures) in both eyes. This is to check for glaucoma. Most veterinarians use a "tonopen" which requires no sedation unless the patient is extremely hyperexcitable or aggressive. If he was able to be stained well enough before, this should be no problem. The results of those tests shall dictate what the next logical step will be. Kindly, Dr. Elaine