Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog started limping a week ago Sunday. Her left rear leg

Customer Question
swelled up. The whole leg...
My dog started limping a week ago Sunday. Her left rear leg swelled up. The whole leg. She started hopping on 3legs, got lethargic and finally needed help walking. Went over, had meds and lots of tests. Neg for cancer. Blood work was good. He shaved her leg and saw nothing. The only thing he could guess was she was bit by something venomous. She started getting better but took a turn this past Monday.she started limping again,leg started to well. Very lethargic he next day. Took to vet and he took new tests. No results yet. As she was hopping around this evening, I noticed on her other back leg, she had started to get a sore on her foot, between toes. What does my dog have.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/23/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Lymphedema should be the primary consideration in an 8 year old Boxer. This is a swelling consisting of protein-rich interstitial fluid caused by impaired lymphatic function. When localized to a limb, it's usually due to malignant cells obstructing lymphatic vessels. These cells can arise locally due to lymphangioma or lyphangiosarcoma or metastasize from a distant site. I don't know which tests have been performed that prompted a "negative for cancer" report. Cancer must remain on the top of my differential diagnosis list in Roxie's breed. Thoracic radiographs are indicated to evaluate for mediastinal masses; abdominal X-rays or ultrasonography is indicated to evaluate for iliac lymphadenopathy, pelvic mass lesions, or hepatosplenomegaly (enlarged liver and spleen), and biopsy of the affected tissues are necessary to rule out local cancer such as lymphangiosarcoma. Feel free to share out conversation with Roxie's vet. Lymphedema is often overlooked in these cases.
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian